My routine on a weekly basis is:
Mon - Gym (cardio)
Tue - Pell (slow work)
Wed - Gym (Upper Body)
Thus - Pell (accuracy)
Fri - Gym (lower Body)
Sat - Pell (speed)
Sun - Fighters practice
Each routine is approx 1 hour at least (if i'm feeling energetic will extend the time) Including warm up and cooldown time total workout takes 1hr 30min - 2 hrs per day.
- Cardio is simply running or swimming/rowing machine.
- Slow work is exaggerated slowness in practicing strikes to build muscle memory and so I know when I ramp up the speed I won't injure myself or others.
- Upper Body, concentrates on arms and core.
- Accuracy is the same as slow work but at speed with a focus on targeting.
- Lower Body focuses on legs (I also throw a little core work in)
- Speed is the same as the other two pell work but focusing on delivering the blow at speed while still retaining accuracy.
I won't cover the exercises in this blog and what works for me prob won't work for you. There's a lot of other information on the internet which covers this topic much better than I could.
Always, always warm up and cool down before excising it will save your fighting career and prevent downtime due to injury.
Finally have fun, it's a competitive sport, not a job if your not enjoying it change your routine so its something you enjoy, Play tennis as a warmup or go swimming, don't like running? Cycle instead.
Your will be surprise how much 1 hr a day can change your fitness level, you can always do more but keeping that 1hr a day up will make a big difference.