Wednesday 29 July 2015

Practice!

Practice, practice, practice! the mantra of the successful. (Note: Training being what you do with an instructor or coach and practice is what you do all by yourself)

During a fight you have a lot to concentrate on, your position, your opponent's sword/feet/shoulders, your sword/feet/shoulders, measure and time the last thing you want to think about is your attack or defense movement.

Practice and build muscle memory to allow you to throw a perfect blow without thinking about the individual movements, it takes 6+ months of weekly practice to build solid memory (studies show about 10,000 hours to become an expert)

Be cautious when you start building the memory of throwing the blow correctly, nothing is worse than having to unlearn a shot. Start slow, who cares how fast or strong your shot is these things can be altered easily, (speed can be added with basic boxer training, blow strength can be changed by adding mass to weapon or armour/body or by weight training) Technique is important not only for success but to prevent injury.

I cheat, I admit it! I use modern sports knowledge to improve my training Muscle memory , I use techniques studied though boxing and MMA  for footwork, fast twitch muscle training Muscle Fiber Type and modern injury prevention techniques including warming up and cooldown.

I have a rudimentary diet (I like my food too much to follow a strict diet) and take supplements to improve muscle growth and provide nutrients my diet misses/lacks in quantity.

But most of all, have fun! Training shouldn't be a chore and you can be as intensive as you want, but if your goal is to be competitive then train hard, We have giants to chase!

No comments:

Post a Comment