Tuesday 25 August 2015

Meā Máxima Culpā


Commitment is a word that has lost meaning in our current modern society. In my opinion it means to stand by your word and if you fail do so, make amends for your failure.

Some vows are more important than others and require less amends, Others are more so but even those can end under the right conditions and agreement. Some will divide friends and loyalties or change lifestyles and ideals.

Who are we to judge what is right for people, who else can?

Do we not have a duty to stand by our ideals through good times and bad? Yet we must temper the blade lest it take innocent blood to satisfy its never ending thirst. It is so very easy to go too far, the line can be as thin as a whisper or as wide as a thought.

Forgiveness is always achievable but some roads are very long and may take your entire life to fulfil and yet those that do are the greatest among us, I believe there is no unforgivable transgression but the price may be everything.

I am not bound to a religion but one thing I truly believe in is forgiveness, the following is from the Confiteor the adopted roman right for forgiveness that can be traced back to early 16th C

Confíteor Deo omnipoténti
et vobis, fratres,
quia peccávi nimis
cogitatióne, verbo,
ópere et omissióne:
mea culpa, mea culpa,
mea máxima culpa.
Ideo precor beátam Maríam semper vírginem,
omnes angelos et sanctos,
et vos, fratres,
oráre pro me ad Dóminum Deum nostrum.

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

The things that haunt me the most are the things I have failed to do, I will not turn my back on a repentant friend.

But, Forgiveness must never be blind and without amends its just hollow words and empty promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment